Rod of Lordly Might
Rod, Legendary (requires attunement; cost 80000 gp)
Fragment of a fire giant’s anvil, mimic’s gemstone heart, freely given blood from a vampire
You have a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this rod, which appears as a magical mace in its default form. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack using the rod, you can activate one of the following three properties, each of which can be used once per dawn:
- Drain Life: The target makes a DC 17 Constitution saving throw , taking an extra 4d6 necrotic damage on a failure. You regain a number of hit points equal to half the necrotic damage dealt.
- Paralyze: The target makes a DC 17 Strength saving throw or is paralyzed for 1 minute. At the end of each of its turns, it repeats the saving throw, ending the effect on a success.
- Terrify: The target makes a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw or is frightened for 1 minute. At the end of each of its turns, it repeats the saving throw, ending the effect on a success.
Six Buttons. The rod has buttons along its haft which alter its form when pressed. You can press one of the buttons as a bonus action, and the effect lasts until you push a different button for a new effect, or press the same button again causing the rod to revert to its default form.
- Button 1: The rod loses its bonus to attack and damage rolls, instead producing a fiery blade from its haft which you can wield as a flame tongue sword.
- Button 2: The rod transforms into a magic battleaxe.
- Button 3: The rod transforms into a magic spear.
- Button 4: The rod transforms into a climbing pole up to 50 feet long. A spike at the bottom and three hooks at the top anchor the pole into any surface as hard as granite. Horizontal bars 3 inches long fold out from the sides, 1 foot apart, forming a ladder. The pole can bear up to 4,000 pounds. Either excess weight or a lack of solid anchoring causes the rod to revert to its default form.
- Button 5: The rod transforms into a handheld battering ram that grants a +10 bonus to Strength checks made to break through doors, barricades, and other barriers.
- Button 6: The rod assumes or remains in its default form and indicates magnetic north, and how far above or below ground that you are. Nothing happens if this function is used in a location without a magnetic north, or a ground as a reference point.